At Shelton, we are committed to using the right resources (hardware/software) to fully support classroom learning to ensure that every student in every classroom has the tools that he or she needs to be successful.
Questions about the Technology Department may be directed to:
Director of Technology
972-774-1772 ext. 2273
Teachers and students have access to an array of educational technology tools including:
- MacBook Airs and iPads
- Online subscription databases
- Software for productivity and creativity
Beginning in 5th grade, students receive direct instruction in computer skills such as:
- word processing
- presentation software
- photo editing
- movie making
All 6th - 12th grade students are supplied with a laptop computer (currently MacBook Air). Students use these for research, note-taking, productivity, creative projects, and organization. Assistive features that help LD students learn and produce are emphasized. These include:
- Dictation which converts spoken words into typed text.
- Text-to-speech which allows the computer to read text out loud to the student.
- Audio books, which are available for individual purchase or on loan from the Library.
- Scanning and OCR (optical character recognition) equipment, which is used to convert paper documents into electronic format, then used with text-to-speech.
- Parents may provide additional software or device that provides productive assistance to their child after approval from Administration, Technology, and his or her teacher.
In Upper School, students are required to take 1 full credit (2 semesters) of technology. The first semester is a general computer applications survey course. The second semester is selected from the following: Web Design, Creative Digital Media, Advanced Photo Editing, Coding/Robotics, and Yearbook. Students may also satisfy the technology credit by taking a full year of Yearbook or a full year of Film III. For detailed course descriptions, see the Upper School Course Catalog.
Information Technology includes managing our network, maintaining hardware and software, and providing technical support to students and staff.
Technical support (provided by our Tekhelp Department) is available by walkup request, phone call or via an electronic ticketing system. The Tekhelp Department is also responsible for inventory management, hardware repairs, and software installs.
The tekhelp office is open Monday-Thursday from 8:00 am until 4:30 pm and Friday 8:00 am until 4:00pm. If your student is having difficulties with his or her MacBook, please encourage him or her to go to the Tekhelp Office ASAP. If we don't know that your student is having difficulties, it is impossible for us to help resolve issues. You may also email the Tech Support Staff at email@example.com
The tekhelp office is open Monday-Thursday from 8:00 am until 4:30 pm and Friday 8:00 am until 4:00pm. If your student is having difficulties with his or her MacBook, please encourage him or her to go to the Tekhelp Office ASAP. If we don't know that your student is having difficulties, it is impossible for us to help resolve issues. You may also email the Tech Support Staff at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Install LP-Admin. This is available in Self Service on your student's Mac.
- Reference these detailed instructions from Apple: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/add-a-printer-on-mac-mh14004/mac
- If you have difficulties, please contact the Tekhelp Office.