Security Precautions at Shelton
The safety of our students, staff and families at Shelton is a top priority. Here are some of the security measures we have in place:
- We have an on-site Director of Campus Safety & Security.
- We have armed, uniformed, off-duty police officers on campus every day.
- We also have armed, uniformed security guards on campus every day.
- Security guards and/or police officers are present at most after-school events.
- Security guards accompany students/classes during outside activities and monitor the surroundings for any threats or hazards. They also patrol hallways, parking lots, fencelines and regularly check all exterior doors to ensure they are secured and functioning correctly.
- Security personnel have access to golf carts or four-wheelers to facilitate quick movement around the campus parking lots.
- A sophisticated security system with an extensive number of cameras and warning methods is in place. Every exterior door and essentially every hallway is covered by a camera. Additionally, parking lots, play areas and sports fields are visible by camera.
- Cameras are monitored by staff at the front desk, security office and other various offices around the campus.
- The Summerside gate is closed for entry during the school day. The gate closes at 9:00 a.m. and reopens at 2 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 1:00 p.m. on Friday. The gate closes each evening at 4:30 p.m. unless an event on campus requires it to be opened.
- We have emergency plans posted in every classroom and routinely have practice drills for various emergencies.
- Access to the building is limited by requiring guests to sign in at designated entry points. In addition, we use the Raptor Security System for visitor management. The system reads the visitor's driver's license and compares that information to a sex offender database. Guests who clear this entry procedure are issued a name tag that is worn while they are on campus.
- Raptor Alert is a silent panic alert system that works on mobile devices that all staff members carry. Raptor Alert expedites and streamlines emergency response by allowing users to initiate an emergency alert directly through 911 and provide critical information to first responders, law enforcement, and campus personnel.
- A guard booth has been installed at the McCallum gate to provide added visible security. Guards have the ability to monitor all cameras at that location.
- Black hideaway shades are installed in all classrooms and offices to cover small windows next to the doors.
- Each classroom has a Go Bag, which includes first aid and defensive and escape items.
- Numerous AEDs and Stop the Bleed kits are located around the campus.
- To ensure our students and staff's safety during severe weather, we have an on-site storm shelter capable of withstanding 250 mph winds.