Security Precautions at Shelton
The safety of our students, staff and families at Shelton is a top priority. Here are the security guidelines in place:
- We have two Dallas off-duty police officers on campus every day from the time students arrive until after carpool in the afternoon.
- We also have two armed security guards on campus every day.
- Security guards and/or police officers are at all after-school events.
- The primary function of all these officers during the day is to be outside with the students observing the surroundings and to be visible and watchful.
- A sophisticated security system with more than 125 cameras and warning methods are in place. Every exterior door and essentially every hallway is covered by a camera. Additionally, parking lots and play areas are visible by camera.
- The staff at the front desk is asked to monitor exterior doors and outside areas on a routine basis while sitting at the desk.
- We are in the process of electrifying the Summerside access gate so it stays closed except at carpool times. This reduces access to the campus to one gate which can be watched more closely.
- We have emergency plans posted in every classroom and routinely have practice drills for various emergencies so that staff is aware of actions to take in emergencies.
- Access to the building is limited by requiring sign-in at the front desk and limiting who can walk in the building unescorted.