Security Precautions at Shelton
The safety of our students, staff and families at Shelton is a top priority. Here are the security measures in place:
- We have one Dallas off-duty police officer on campus every day from the time students arrive until after carpool in the afternoon.
- We also have three armed security guards on campus every day.
- Security guards and/or police officers are at all after-school events.
- The primary function of all these officers during the day is to be outside with the students observing the surroundings and to be visible and watchful. They also provide regular patrols to ensure all exterior doors are locked.
- A sophisticated security system with more than 140 cameras and warning methods are in place. Every exterior door and essentially every hallway is covered by a camera. Additionally, parking lots and play areas are visible by camera.
- The staff at the front desk is asked to monitor exterior doors and outside areas on a routine basis while sitting at the desk.
- The Summerside gate is closed for entry during the school day. The gate closes at 9:00 a.m. and reopens at 2 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 1:00 p.m. on Friday. The gate closes each evening at 4:30 p.m. unless there is an event on campus that requires it to be opened.
- We have emergency plans posted in every classroom and routinely have practice drills for various emergencies so that staff is aware of actions to take in emergencies.
- Access to the building is limited by requiring sign-in at the front desk and limiting who can walk in the building or around the property unescorted.
- We have implemented a new emergency notification system called Raptor. This app allows staff another means of notifying everyone of an emergency.
- A guard booth has been installed at the McCallum gate to provide added visible security. Guards have the ability to monitor all cameras at that location.
- Black hideaway shades were installed in all classrooms and offices to cover small windows next to the doors.
- Each classroom has a Go Bag, which includes first aid and defensive and escape items.
- Reinforced materials have been added to exterior doors and strategic exterior windows.