NEW PARENT SUPPORT MEETING (WEBINAR) THURSDAY, DEC. 1, 7:00 PM
"Oral and Written Language: Decoding, Spelling, Comprehension & Composition," our fourth New Parent Support meeting of the year, will be held virtually for first-time Shelton parents on Thursday, Dec. 1, at 7:00 p.m. New parents were emailed a link to join the Dec. 1 event. Parents who are not new to Shelton this year, but who would like to attend/view this webinar, please contact Laura Berend for information.
It's flu season and Dallas is reporting many cases of flu. Please tell Coordinator of Health Services Eve Herman (email@example.com) or School Nurse Lisa Nagid (firstname.lastname@example.org) if your child has been diagnosed with the flu or strep.
MEDICATION REMINDERS FROM THE PARENT HANDBOOK
A Shelton Medication Form must be completed for students who take medication at school. Please use this form when sending medication to school and any time there are medication changes. The form can be found on the Shelton website under: Parents →, Medical →,
Medication Form or at the link on the blue button below. Here are some reminders:
- A parent/guardian MUST bring the medication to the clinic when the medication is started.
- After the medication is started, students in Middle and High School may bring in refills. Students under sixth grade are not permitted to bring medication; it must be brought to the clinic by a parent or another adult. It cannot be sent in the student's backpack.
- All medication must be in a correctly labeled bottle from the pharmacy for prescriptions or the original box for over-the-counter medications.
UPCOMING FINE ARTS EVENTS
- Dec. 1, 9:38 a.m.: All-School Holiday Band Concert, Big Gym
- Dec 6, 7:00 p.m: Combined MS/US choir performance, Black Box Theatre
- Dec. 7-8, 7:00 p.m.: Eighth-Grade Musical "Matilda," Black Box Theatre
- Dec. 8, 4:00 p.m.: Fourth/Fifth Grade Honor Choir Concert, Black Box Theatre
LOWER SCHOOL HOLIDAY PARADE
- Dec. 15, 1:00 p.m.: Lower School Holiday Parade, in front of the LS/UE entrance
SUMMER, THE SHELTON WAY 2023
Start planning now for Summer, The Shelton Way:
- Summer School 2023: June 12-June 30
- Scholars 2023: June 12-June 30
- June 19: holiday
- Back to School Prep Week for Shelton students: July 31-Aug. 4
- Registration opens Feb. 15.
- Information on summer classes and the summer brochure will be available online in early February here.
Questions? Email email@example.com.
REGISTER FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL TRIPS
Seventh graders will enjoy a Texas history trip to Austin and San Antonio on March 28-30 and eighth graders will take a trip to the Smoky Mountains on April 17-20. Registration for the seventh grade trip is due Nov. 30 and registration for the eighth grade trip is due Dec. 9. If you have questions, email Anna Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ESPORTS 2 TEAM MAKES THE PLAYOFFS
Congratulations to our Shelton 2 Esports team for making the playoffs! Members include Alex Anderson (number 1 Puge), Peyton Owen (phantomNinja_12) and Patrick WIlliams (patrickstar2024). The game will be Friday, Dec. 2, at 4:30 p.m. The game will be live-streamed at this link.
MIDDLE SCHOOL ROBOTICS TEAM TAKES FIRST PLACE
Congratulations to our MS Robotics Team for their first-place win at the scrimmage tournament on Nov. 19. The team includes Maren Price, Brent Venable, Mark Jansen, Colin Garcia and Jack Shell and is coached by Sara Harris. The team has qualified to compete this weekend in Terrell. Good luck and GO CHARGERS!
The Shelton basketball team will host its first tournament at Shelton on Dec. 1-3. Please attend and cheer on our Chargers!
VARSITY FOOTBALL TAPPS HONORS
Congratulations to Varsity Football Coach Head Coach Marco Rivera and the following Varsity Football players for TAPPS Division III-2 District Honors:
- Special Teams Player of the Year: Jake Riggs, Snapper
- First Team: Clay Brandenburg, Kicker; Jake Riggs, Linebacker
- Second Team: Clay Brandenburg, Punter; Zac Robison, Safety; Grayson Metz, Offensive Line; Taylor Ogden, Wide Receiver
- Honorable Mention: Zac Robison, Quarterback; Grayson Metz, Defensive Line; Nico Rivera, Offensive Line; Henry Hurt, Linebacker and Wide Receiver; Jan Kruger, Linebacker; Jacob Wood, Running Back; Blake Fetters, Defensive Line
SENIOR HANNAH GERSHENSON VOLUNTEERED IN A TWO-YEAR MEDICAL TRIAL
Senior Hannah Gershenson, who has Myotonic Dystrophy, a genetic neuromuscular disease that attacks all systems of the body, recently finished her last appointment in a two-year study/trial at Arkansas Children's. She volunteered to participate in the trial. "At first it was double-blind, which means we were unsure if she was getting the medicine or not and then the extension provided her with the medicine for the past year and a half," says her mother, Laura Gershenson, who is an Upper School science teacher at Shelton. "She took it every morning and had to wait two hours afterward to eat. Many of her symptoms went away or lessened which is a big success, but we are unsure how long it will last without the medicine. She may have done the trial for someone else down the road. We are proud of her. There are many drug studies and trials in the pipeline. And so we wait for what will come." Hannah is a member of the American Sign Language club, theatre, choir, B'nai B'rith Youth Organization and the National Honors Society. "You never know what is going on inside," says Hannah. "People only see the outside and should think before they respond." Congratulations to Hannah for her strength and resilience!
CONSIDER DONATING TO SHELTON'S ANNUAL FUND
This year's Shelton School Annual Fund "Investing Today, Shaping Tomorrow" is about the opportunities students gain from a Shelton education. Our students' experiences today shape their tomorrow. Your investment enables Shelton to offer innovative programs, top-notch educators and personalized instruction at an outstanding campus. Thank you for all that you do to make a difference for each and every Shelton student.
SEND US YOUR STUDENT AND ALUMNI NEWS
Has your child held an interesting job, volunteered in the community or had any other special achievement? Please let us know by filling out the form here. By submitting news or photos you agree that your news may be shared on Shelton.org, our email newsletters and social media. Send photos to email@example.com.