LD Learning Resources and Research
Since 1976, Shelton School has been serving intelligent students with learning differences (LD). The school serves the educational needs of children with dyslexia, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) or speech and language disorders. Each year Shelton opens its doors to more than 800 students, grades preschool through twelve. For over 35 years Shelton has been committed to providing the best education to its student community, gathering data and analysis in effective practices in the use of curriculum for those with LD, partnering with other recognized leaders in LD education, and sharing its findings, methods, successes and failures with the greater educational community.
The Shelton School is multidisciplinary in that it addresses several aspects about learning differences:
- Ongoing work in regards to the definitions of what constitutes a learning disability (LD) and appropriate measurement and tracking within current testing standards.
- Ongoing investigation of the successes and failures of newly created preventative and remedial interventions for students with reading difficulties using a multi disciplinary LD curriculum so that we can be sure we are using the best methods for our students.
- The neurobiological correlates of Learning Differences.
- Providing findings and materials to the greater Education Community.
- Collaborating with leading educational institutions for the development of successful strategies and practices that help people with Learning Differences succeed.
Shelton participates and supports research that leads to a more comprehensive classification of Learning Differences. Shelton continually strives to gather and provide data that will lead to a greater understanding of the educational demands that are required to support children with reading and learning challenges.
Currently, the Shelton Training Center is working with a public school system in Alabama. A project like this has not been done in any other state or by any other training course. Read about the successes of this program in the article, Shelton Outreach Provides Groundbreaking Statewide Training.